Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Where Are They Now? The Hartwick Lacrosse Alumni Edition

Julie Duffy is a 2007 graduate of Hartwick College, where she was a member of the women’s lacrosse team for 4 years. She started all 16 games during her junior year, helping the team win the NYSWCAA championship. Sidelined by an injury during her sophomore season, she served as a student assistant coach, assisting with practices and recruiting, which led her to seek the Bay State Games position. She made her coaching debut during the summer of 2005, guiding the Western Massachusetts team in the Bay State Games. During her 3-year stint, she led the Western Massachusetts team to a gold medal in 2006 and a silver medal in 2007.

Duffy came to Ohio Wesleyan from Ithaca College, where she served as an assistant coach. Julie Duffy returns for her third season as the head coach of the Ohio Wesleyan women’s lacrosse team. Last season, the Bishops went 11-6 overall, finishing one win short of the school record for victories in a season, and qualified for the North Coast Athletic Conference tournament. In 2009, her first season as a head coach, Duffy guided the Bishops to a 7-7 record.

Why did you choose Hartwick and what make you play for HCWL? I fell in love with the school first. I visited on a snowy day and got onto campus in the evening. My dad and I were lost in the gym and took the elevator upstairs and we were looking out on the snowy night and I feel in love with it. Then I met the team and they were so nice. I felt like I was at home and that is how I knew I needed to be at Hartwick.

What is your best memory from Hartwick College Women’s Lacrosse? There are so many, but I think the experience of getting to the ECAC finals was a blast. Post season experience is just a great feeling and fun to say down the road we made it to the finals for our region.

What were some traditions that you had on the team? The Blue and Black game at the end of the season as an inter squad scrimmage. Those were always fun, especially because our coaches played with us. Locker room traditions of different sayings we would say right before we left. The wooden lacrosse stick that was made our sophomore year and has been passed on but signed every year by the incoming freshmen.

What experiences at Hartwick got you to where you are now? So many experiences have. The biggest one though is my sophomore year when I was injured my coach letting me be a "player-coach". It taught me a lot; kept me involved in the program, but made me realized I wanted to continue doing something with lacrosse. Also, my experience in our education program, it taught me about working with people and teaching.

What is your title and position currently? Head Women's Lacrosse Coach, Ohio Wesleyan University

What are your hopes and dreams for the future lacrosse athletes of HCWL? I want to see them getting back to E8's and being competitive in our conference and region. I'm a proud alumnus, but want those that are playing currently to feel what is like to be in post-season and want to get there. There is no better feeling then making it to the NCAA's!

No comments:

Post a Comment